Amanda Seyfried for Givenchy’s new autumn/winter 2013 campaign lensed by Mert & Marcus. Bambi never looked so chic!
If there was fashion Disneyland, it would be the Cannes Film Festival. When it comes to amazing outfits, it’s pretty much the happiest place on earth. If there’s one thing Cannes can be relied upon it’s beautiful gowns, an almost ridiculous amount of jewels and lots of very well-dressed people congregating in the gorgeous French town, both on the red carpet and at photo calls. As you’d expect it’s all out glamour when it comes to Cannes. This year, the red carpet has everything from long trains and voluminous ball gowns to 50s style Dior prom dresses as seen on Nicole Kidman. Monochrome is a trend that doesn’t seem to be waning with Emma Watson and Zoe Saldana both wearing the trend on the red carpet. Amidst the couture gowns, minimalist chic a la Rooney Mara in Calvin Klein made an equally powerful statement. Basic black is still timelessly sophisticated with Cara Delevingne in lacy black Burberry paired with a striking red lip stealing the show. But should we really be surprised there was so much fashion eye candy? If there’s one thing the French know how to do, it’s throw a damn stylish show.
Images: Zimbio, The Huffington Post, Vogue
Yes you read that correctly! Cotton On is selling an edit of their winter accessories for the bargain price of $10 for ten items! THAT’S $1 EACH. THAT’S CRAZY! Our picks are the Fox Felt Hat and the Moe Ribbed Beanie (as worn by Lara Bingle). There are over seventy fun items to choose from so hurry up and pick up ten accessories for less than the price of a cocktail. Did we mention that these winter staples are $1 EACH?!!
Image: Cotton On
After stints in beauty editing at BellaSugar and CLEO, Sarah Macrae is now sharing all her beauty know-how at OK! Magazine. One of the nicest beauty editors in the business talks to SOMEWEAR about fashion faves, beauty essentials and her number one tip for looking amazing…
1. What does a typical day in the life of your job entail? Life as a beauty editor can be pretty varied. Checking Twitter and Instagram to see what’s happening is usually my first stop, but then it can either be a breakfast catch-up with a PR/brand to talk about their latest releases, a product launch, hitting the studio to shoot my weekly stories or chaining myself to my computer to actually do some writing!
2. How would you describe your personal style? Easy and comfortable. I don’t really like to wear anything that I can’t sit down or eat in. I’m definitely a comfort over style kinda girl.
3. What’s your never-fail, go-to beauty look? Tousled hair and winged liner.
4. If your house was burning down around you, which 3 items from your wardrobe would you save? My Mulberry Alexa, my Elizabeth & James heels (even though they’ve been worn to death) and my Vanrycke ‘Make a Wish’ necklace – even though it’s not technically in my wardrobe.
5. Which 3 stores would you choose to max out your credit card and why? I love Incu for a carefully-edited selection of brands that I love, Zimmermann for party dresses and Mecca Cosmetica for Diptyque candles.
6. What are your tips for SOMEWEAR readers on how to keep your beauty look fresh and amazing? The basis of good make-up is great skin so spend time on your skincare routine. After removing make-up, massage an oil into your skin to keep it supple and follow with a moisturiser ALWAYS. After that it’s simply about having fun and remembering that it comes off – so don’t be afraid to step outside of your comfort zone.
7. Who is your favourite Australian fashion designer? Michael Lo Sordo. I remember being backstage at his first ever Fashion Week show and just wanting everything. And that feeling hasn’t changed to date!
8. Who are your personal style icons? Kate Moss, Kate Bosworth, Alexa Chung. Girls that have an obvious split between going out and off-duty looks.
10. What polish is on your nails right now? YSL La Laque Couture Tie & Dye because I’m testing it for my pages.
► Online shops: ASOS and Shopbop
► Style websites: WhoWhatWear and Into the Gloss
► Website just to waste time on: Daily Mail
► Last website added to my favourites folder: I never do favourites, I’m so behind the times.
Future Bright Clutch / $89 / MOLTEN STORE
Cotton-poplin Shirt / $281.25 / BAND OF OUTSIDERS
Ponte Boyfriend Blazer / £40 / TOPSHOP
Samantha Digital Print Skinny Shantung Pants / $1517.19 / MICHAEL KORS
Nail Colour in Totes Amaze / $7.95 / AUSTRALIS
Henley Heeled Sandals / $66.86 / ASOS
‣ While you may be getting used to rugging up in a coat and beanie again, it doesn’t mean you can’t plan ahead for summer later in the year. Diane von Furstenberg’s new collaboration with Roxy involves all things beach wear in iconic DVF prints and we are in love! The range includes bikinis, board shorts, cover-ups, beach bags and rashies and you can check out the whole range here.
‣ She’s best known for being covered in tattoos and piercings thanks to her role as Lisbeth Salander in the The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo but Rooney Mara’s certainly becoming more at home in the world of fashion. Mara co-chaired the recent Met Ball with Anna Wintour and Riccardo Tisci (she nailed the glam goth look on the red carpet) and now she’s just been announced as the face of Calvin Klein’s new fragrance Downtown. The campaign shows Mara fresh faced and with super sleek hair and we have to say, she looks awesome. She’s also got killer cheekbones don’t you think?
‣ Rihanna vs Topshop: this year’s biggest fashion catfight? Rihanna is taking the UK retailer to court for $5 million of lost earnings over t-shirts featuring her image for which she was apparently not paid artist licensing fees. Topshop claim to have bought the photograph of Ri-Ri from the photographer but apparently no one gave the singer the heads-up she was going to be featured on tees everywhere! Considering Rihanna’s good friends with Topshop heiress Chloe Green, not only could this get messy but really awkward too…
Images: Vogue UK, Racked, Huffington Post